Thursday, June 5, 2014

Back! And then gone again...

Sweden was great. The sun was shining, birds were chirping, and flowers blossoming. Spending some time with family and friends was just what I needed, and I think I managed to make the most of the precious days and hours (sometimes merely minutes) I had with them all. But oh, how I wish I could have stayed longer! The thought of missing out on another summer back home hurts; no sailing with mum and dad, no relaxing with my grandmother at the summer cabin in Rådmansö, no late-night boardgaming with my brother and friends, and no evening swims in the salty sea.

Even though I brought my camera I hardly took any pictures at all; being in the moment felt more important. I managed a few snapshots though, like this postcard classic from my hometown Halmstad depicting the ship Najaden and the castle.


Complete stillness on a morning walk.


In Halmstad I also met up with my girls for a fabulous slumber party, including fika (featuring an outrageous chocolate cake by Vivi), spicy dinner at a cozy Indian restaurant, copious amounts of candy, wine, gossip, and a wonderful breakfast the morning after. In addition, I watched my popstar parents perform at a gig by the docks.



Gothenburg offered a sweet barbecue with a bunch of good friends, supportive coaching by Patrik during a fun run in Slottsskogen, lunch and coffee with old colleagues from the university, more fika and planning with a dear friend that will visit me later this summer, and some quality time with this little guy (and his sweet parents).


Being back in Seattle feels okay, albeit a little stressful; I landed on Tuesday and will take off for (another) conference in St. Louis, MO, already tomorrow. To say that I'm concerned about the talk I'm giving is a severe understatement, but I still feel rather confident that I will survive the ordeal. Somehow.

After my return on Wednesday next week things will slow down a little, which is something I dearly look forward to. Being able to focus on manuscript writing, and perhaps enjoying some of that lovely Seattle summer weather, are thoughts that sooth my worried mind. I'm sure it will be great. And after all, Christmas isn't that far away, right...?

Right.

2 comments:

  1. Det var underbart att ha dig här hemma och julen är här i ett nafs!

    ReplyDelete