Tuesday, September 30, 2014

In flames

At about 1:30 pm today I received two emails from friends who saw a great pillar of smoke rising up from Fremont, asking if I knew about the fire and if it was close to my place. One of them sent a photo taken from the 4th floor of the Hutch. An ominous view, to say the least.


After a quick check with the local news I realized that yes, the blazing mayhem was in fact taking place in a factory building very close to my place. I called my landlord who hadn't heard about the matter but promised to check things out and get back to me with info. As the Seattle Times updated their reports I realized that the fire wasn't just very close, it was very very close. Close as in half a block away from my house. Yikes!

Luckily, the 100-ish firefighters who battled the flames managed to gain control of the situation a couple of hours later, and as far as I know no one was hurt. When I got home from work the street outside my building was closed in all directions and Seattle City Light had cut the power to the entire block as a precautionary measure.



I went out for a run and when I came back the power outage was still ongoing, so I lit the few candles I had and prepared myself for an evening in the dark. Imagine my relief when the fridge suddenly started buzzing as I was halfway through my stretching routine. No cold water-showering in a pitch black bathroom! Whew.

All's well that ends well, and thank God, it wasn't the chocolate factory... Now that would've been a real tragedy.

2 comments:

  1. Läskigt! Tur att det verkar ha gått bra ändå. Kram!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ujuj, ibland tränger sig verkligheten nära inpå. Gott att branden inte spred sig. Och ja, vilken tur att även chokladfabriken klarade sig. :)

    ReplyDelete