Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Surfin' birds and nesting dinosaurs

Our first stay in San José was very brief, to say the least. We spent the night at David's house, after having dinner and partying with his brother, sister, and friends. The next day we took off again, back to the beautiful beaches of Guanacaste. The aim was set for Nosara, just a three-hour drive from San José.

We arrived about five hours later and checked in at a hotel with a fabulous view. Pedro and I spent the late afternoon on the beach; him surfing and me reading. The waves there were something else, compared with the calm waters in Tamarindo... They looked absolutely frightening to me but it was wonderful just hanging out at the beach, watching the surfers show off their talents.




The next morning, Amelia and I took a hike on the beach and in the forest surrounding the hotel while the boys hit the waves again. They picked us up around noon and the four of us had lunch (and dessert, importantly) at Robin's Cafe & Ice Cream: a fabulous place specializing in vegetarian and vegan wholesome grub, not to mention delicious homemade ice cream. I never wanted to leave... Completely smitten! The rest of the day was equally fabulous; Amelia and I rented a couple of surfboards too, and built up the courage to attack the intimidating waves. And holy cow, was it fun! I was hurting all over afterwards; ribs beat, hips bruised, and knees scratched, but it was so worth it.

SLOTH! SLOTH! Wait... Why is it carrying a red bag...?


The evening was spent at Playa Ostional, watching sea turtles nest on the beach as the sun set. It was just one of those experiences that can't really be described. Seeing those ancient creatures emerge from the sea, lay their eggs in the sand, and then nobly return to the great blue was like seeing paleontology vivify in front of our eyes. Dinosaurs, basically. In the sunset. Words fail me... Photos are better.

This lovely lady was throwing a lot of sand my way, for instance in my face. I'm sure I deserved it.


Dig dig dig dig...



Bye, darlings!


Now what do we do? Back to San José! (It's just a three-hour drive.)

1 comment: