Sunday, July 14, 2013

Speed 2: Cruise Control

I have to be realistic and admit that my blog posting will remain quite poor for the duration of July, as spending time with my visiting family will have priority over most other activities (apart from work, sadly). Sorry! It will get better in August, I promise.

My parents have been here almost two weeks now and tomorrow we are warmly welcoming my brother, who makes his second appearance in this fair state. On Friday, the three of us will head North on a weeklong road trip, starting with Vancouver Island and then moving on to the Olympic Peninsula. But the adventures started today with a birthday surprise I had arranged for my mother who recently turned sixty: a whale-watching tour in the San Juan Islands. We spent seven lovely hours on the Island Caper under a bright blue sky with both Mt Baker and Mt Rainier generously showing off their snow-clad peaks on the horizon. The cruise itself was terrific, and the three of us agreed that it would have been a success even if we hadn't seen any whales. But we did. For at least forty minutes three orcas, a mother and her two sons, were swimming around happily eating salmon and spraying water, seemingly unaffected by the attention from their human admirers. So cool!






It won't be easy to focus on work this week, but I'll certainly do my best. Oh, these are good times!

2 comments:

  1. Så himla coolt med späckhuggare! Grymt att ni fick se dem och gött med det soliga vädret. Win!

    ReplyDelete